Dawn A Laney, MS, CGC, CCRC
Assistant Professor and Director,
Emory Genetic Clinical Trials Center
Emory Lysosomal Storage Disease Center
Additional Contact Information
Department of Human Genetics
2165 North Decatur
Decatur, GA 30033
Ms. Laney is a genetic counselor, instructor, researcher, director of the Genetic Clinical Trials Center, and program leader of the Emory Lysosomal Storage Disease Center at Emory University in the Department of Human Genetics. Ms. Laney received her master’s degree in medical genetics from the Sarah Lawrence College in 1999. She received her certification from the American Board of Genetic Counseling in 2002. Since joining the Emory Division of Medical Genetics in 2002, Ms. Laney has been involved in follow-up of abnormal metabolic newborn screening for the state of Georgia, development and management of a genetic infusion center, and lysosomal storage disease clinical care and research. She is currently the program leader for the Emory Lysosomal Storage disease center and the director of the Emory Genetic Clinical Trials Center. She serves on the Emory biomedical IRB committee. Ms. Laney is the instructor for the Developmental Biology and Human Malformation course (HGC 725).
My clinical research interest is in the lysosomal storage diseases, particularly Fabry disease, with emphasis on elucidation of natural history, exploration of psychological disease manifestations and treatment, assisting with transition from childhood to adulthood, clarifying disease information provision to patients/families, finding mechanisms to facilitate testing at risk family members, and delineating disease related reproductive issues. I also am deeply interested in genetic education and creation of new resources for patients/families living with genetic conditions and heathcare providers.
Areas of Specialization
- Fabry Disease and Lysosomal Storage Disorders
- Genetic Education
- MS, Medical Genetics, Sarah Lawrence College Genetic Counseling Training Program, 1999
- BA, Biology/History, Trinity College, Hartford CT,1996
- 2007: Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP)
- 2002: American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC)
- 1994-present: National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC)
- 2002-present: American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC):
- 2003-present: Southeastern Regional Genetics Group (SERGG)
- 2003-present: NSGC Metabolic and Lysosomal Special Interest Group
- 2005-present: AmericanCollege of Medical Genetics (ACMG)
- 2010-present: NSGC Research Special Interest Group
- 2016-present: NSGC Education Special Interest Group
Honors and Awards
- 2010: Best Poster Award (13th Annual North American Registries Meeting)
- 2013: Ten years of service on the Emory University Institutional Review Board
- 2016: NORD RARE impact award 2016
- 2016: Paul M. Fernhoff Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2016: Best Provider of 2016 from the Fabry Support and Information Group
- View publications on Scholar Google
Hopkin RJ, JL Jefferies, DA Laney, et al (2016) “The management and treatment of children with Fabry disease: A United States-based perspective” Molecular genetics and metabolism 117(2): 104-113.
Laney DA, DS Peck, AM Atherton, et al. (2014) “Fabry disease in infancy and early childhood: a systematic literature review” GIM 17(5), 323-330.
Laney DA, RL Bennett, V Clarke, et al. (2013) “Fabry disease practice guidelines: recommendations of the National Society of Genetic Counselors.” JGC, 22(5) 555-564.
Laney, Dawn and S. Cagle, "My Brother, MPS, and ME!", BookSurge, 2011.
Laney, Dawn, "Joe Learns About Fabry Disease", BookSurge, 2009.
Laney DA, Fernhoff PM, Diagnosis of Fabry Disease via Analysis of Family History. Journal of Genetic Counseling. February 2007.
Laney DA“For Your Practice Special SeriesCASE 3: Deficiency of 3-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase (3-MCC)“ Perspectives in Genetic Counseling, Fall 2007.
Laney DA, White AL, Rhead WJ, Fernhoff PM. Creating Genetics Based Infusion Centers: A Case Study of Two Models, Genetics in Medicine. 2008 Aug;10(8):626-32
Laney DA, DJ Gruskin, PM Fernhoff, J. Cubells, O. Ousley, H. Hipp, A. Mehta, Social-adaptive and psychological functions of patients affected by Fabry disease, J Inherit Metab Dis. 2010 Jan 20.